NAPWHA staff, board and special representatives aim to ensure the meaningful involvement of people living with HIV in a range of HIV-related research activities across Australia (and some internationally). NAPWHA plays a key role through contributing to research advisory committees, reference groups and as representatives for people living with HIV on specific research studies.
NAPWHA’s input covers areas of; clinical research, behavioural research, and social research into aspects of living with HIV. NAPWHA has generated community-based research when required.
NAPWHA also interprets and circulates relevant HIV research outcomes and findings to HIV positive people via a range of media loops and through the network of NAPWHA member organisations.
NAPWHA is currently representing and involved in the following research:
- Australian Centre for HIV and Hepatitis Virology Research (ACH2) – Scientific Advisory Committee
- Australian Centre for HIV and Hepatitis Virology Research (ACH2) – Immunovirology Research Network (IVRN)
- Australian Centre for HIV, Hepatitis and Virology Research – Scientific Advisory Board
- Australian Research Centre for Sex Health and Society, UNSW – HIV FUTURES Study
- Australian Collaboration for Coordinated Enhanced Sentinel Surveillance (ACCESS)
- Centre for Social Research in Health, UNSW – PAART Study (Predictors of Adherence to Antiretroviral Therapy)
- Centre for Social Research in Health, UNSW – Stigma Indicators Monitoring Project – Stigma Indicators Advisory Committee
- Centre for Social Research in Health, UNSW – Scientific Advisory Committee
- Centre for Human Rights Education, Curtin University – Reducing health disparities for culturally and linguistically diverse peoples
- Delaney AIDS Research Enterprise Community Advisory Board
- The Kirby Institute, UNSW – CEASE Study (Control and Elimination within Australia of Hepatitis C from PLHIV)
- The Kirby Institute, UNSW – RISE Study (Recently Diagnosed and the Impact of Support of the Experience of HIV)
- The Kirby Institute, UNSW – SPANC (Study of the Prevention of Anal Cancer)
- HIV Cure Community Partnership (HCCP)
- HIV Cure Digital Think Tank
- INSIGHT (International Network for Strategic Initiatives in HIV Trials) – Community Advisory Board
- Monash University – Healthmap Study – Steering Committee
Examples of recently published research involving NAPWHA representatives:
Rule, J., Ellard, J.,& Cogle, A. (2018). Linkage to Care Project: Report Identifying the Barriers and Facilitators for People living with HIV to Treatment and Care. National Association of People with HIV Australia.
Siefried, K. J., Mao, L., Cysique, L. A., Rule, J., Giles, M. L., Smith, D. E., & Bloch, M. (2018). Concomitant medication polypharmacy, interactions and imperfect adherence are common in Australian adults on suppressive antiretroviral therapy. AIDS (London, England), 32(1), 35.
Brown, G., Reeders, D., Cogle, A., Madden, A., Kim, J., & O’Donnell, D. (2018). A Systems Thinking Approach to Understanding and Demonstrating the Role of Peer-Led Programs and Leadership in the Response to HIV and Hepatitis C: Findings from the W3 Project. Frontiers in public health, 6.
Brown, G., Mikołajczak, G., Lyons, A., Power, J., Drummond, F., Cogle, A., & O’Connor, S. (2018). Development and validation of PozQoL: a scale to assess quality of life of PLHIV. BMC public health, 18(1), 527.