Older PLHIV – South Australia
This is a list of services available for Older PLHIV living in South Australia.
Positive Life SA
Positive Life SA (PLSA) is a volunteer based and run community of dedicated people who have many years lived experience of HIV. We provide a peer network and linkage service and referral at both a State and National level.
With over 30 years’ experience, we can direct you to peer support, treatments updates and information and for older PLHIV. We can also refer you on to aged care support and individuals who are expert at dealing with the complexities of HIV and ageing.
Please contact us between the hours of 10am to 4pm on Monday to Friday.
Mobile: 0410 707 923
Postal Address: PO Box 117, Blackforest 5035 SA
MOSAIC HIV Support Service
MOSAIC is a free and confidential service that provides support to people living with or affected by HIV. The service helps PLHIV to:
- Make informed decisions, including decisions about antiviral treatments
- Adjust to lifestyle changes after diagnosis, and live long term with the virus
- Build on their strengths and abilities to manage the impact of the virus on their relationships, health and wellbeing
- Navigate the health care system and connect with other services
- Connect with peer supports and participate in groups specifically designed for PLHIV or those affected by HIV
- Advocate for themselves and their health needs.
MOSAIC also works closely with local hospitals, community health centres and correctional
facilities to support anyone undertaking treatment.
MOSAIC is a program of Relationships Australia South Australia (RASA) and operates at the following Relationships Australia offices:
- 49a Orsmond Street, Hindmarsh
- 151 South Terrace, Adelaide
- Shop 7, Salisbury Cinema Complex, Corner of James Street and Gawler Street, Salisbury.
Individuals may refer themselves to MOSAIC, be referred by family or friends, through their GP,
other health professionals, viral hepatitis services, or social and community services.
South Australia Mobilisation + Empowerment for Sexual Health (SAMESH) was created in 2015 as part of a joint initiative between lead agency, SHINE SA and Thorne Harbour Health (formerly the Victorian AIDS Council). It provides community-based support for education, training and advocacy of sexual health and HIV, including health promotion, community mobilisation, empowerment, and engagement.
The objective is to provide people with information, education, and programs to enhance their sexual health and wellbeing. These services are open to people of all cultural backgrounds and gender experiences.
Bobby Goldsmith Foundation (BGF)
BGF provides support for PLHIV in South Australia. It is located in Adelaide at the SAMESH office:
57 Hyde Street
Adelaide SA 5000
Phone: 0403 210 034
BGF can provide direct financial support for PLHIV in South Australia to help people manage the cost of their health.
Royal District Nursing Service of S.A. Limited (RDNS)
A registered charity, RDNS has been supporting PLHIV for over 20 years. It provides community healthcare services, support and advice. It also undertakes advocacy and influence into best practice health and community care. Fees apply
O’Brien Street General Practice
Established in 1991, O’Brien Street Practice has since 2005 been a joint collaboration with SA Health. It is fully accredited by Australian General Practice Accreditation Limited and provides a full range of medical services by male and female doctors:
- Comprehensive medical care
- Immunisations, sexual health and palliative care
Enquiries should be made by phone: 8231 4026
For afterhour’s medical treatment, weekends/public holidays contact National Home Doctor Service on 137425. This service comes to your home and is available from 6pm weeknights, 12 noon Saturdays and all day Sundays and Public Holidays.
Aged Rights Advocacy Service (ARAS)
The Aged Rights Advocacy Service (ARAS) provides advocacy assistance to support older people to uphold their rights and their responsibilities. ARAS offers a free, confidential and state-wide service to older people, or their representatives, who are living in residential aged care; receiving Commonwealth Home Support Programme (CHSP) or Home Care Package (HCP) services; at risk of, or experiencing abuse from family or friends; or living in a retirement village.
ARAS also has specialist Aboriginal Advocates who provide culturally safe support and host an annual Intergenerational Elders and Youth Gathering in regional South Australia.
ARAS is participating in the Aged Care System Navigator Trial, which supports older people in navigating the aged care system and accessing services.
Address: 175 Fullarton Road
Dulwich SA 5065
Telephone: (08) 8232 5377
Toll free: 1800 700 600
Provide dental services to eligible adults and all children at clinics across South Australia.
- Statewide Dental Services (SWDS) – comprises adult and kids dental services as its two core programs as well as private sector schemes, remote dental services and attraction and retention of clinic staff.
- The Adelaide Dental Hospital (ADH) – comprises six specialty dental services, general and emergency services, and provides infection control leadership.
South Australian Council of Social Service (SACOSS)
SACOSS is the peak body for the non-government health and community services sector in South Australia. Key roles:
- Representation – speaking in all matters as the peak body on behalf of the sector
- Research, policy development, advice and advocacy – giving voice to the interests of vulnerable and disadvantaged people;
- Information dissemination to the sector – filtering and prioritizing government information to ensure the sector is informed about changes and policies relevant to them;
- Information dissemination to the community – public education about poverty and disadvantage, and/or the role of sector in community development and supporting vulnerable and disadvantaged people;
- Sector development and capacity building – training, advocacy to improve the regulatory regime, sharing best practice and highlighting sector issues to enable the better service delivery and functioning of community organisations.
Address: Marjorie Black House, 47 King William Road, Unley SA 5061
Phone: (08) 8305 4222
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org (link sends e-mail)